The Karachi Metropolitan Corporation (KMC) will start the next phase of the anti-encroachment drive in the city in the middle of April in order to clear the city of all kinds of illegal structures, The News has learnt from KMC Anti-Encroachment Senior Director Bashir Siddiqi.According to Siddiqi, the next anti-encroachment operations will start from Old City areas of Karachi, in which the areas of Lea Market and Akbar Market will be focused. The KMC plans to remove all the encroachments on roads, drains, footpaths and parks during the drive.When asked about the issue of debris of illegal constructions, which were razed in the earlier anti-encroachment operations, still lying all over the city and whether the new phase of the drive would aggravate the issue, the KMC officer said the corporation had not been able to remove all the debris because of financial constraints.“We are facing a serious financial crisis,” Siddiqui claimed, adding that the Supreme Court (SC) had ordered the Sindh government to pay Rs200 million to the KMC but till date the provincial government had paid only Rs50 million of the dues. According to him, it was because of financial reasons, the KMC had to delay the next phase of the drive.The anti-encroachment drive in the city was started by the KMC on November 11 last year at the Empress Market in Saddar. The corporation utilised heavy machinery in the drive and sought help from law enforcement agencies, including the range police, traffic police and Rangers.Karachi Mayor Wasim Akhtar cannot perform his job without money, Siddiqi remarked. The KMC officer explained that the new phase of the drive, like the earlier phase, would be carried out on the orders of the SC. He added that the KMC had submitted a detailed report to the apex court on the operations against encroachments.According to Siddiqi, the mayor had to take a lot of flak for just obeying the SC. Akhtar was wrongly accused of targeting a particular community, he said, adding that the mayor also kept his promise of providing alternative shops to shopkeepers displaced due to the anti-encroachment drive.Let me make it clear that encroachments on nullahs, footpaths and parks will not be spared at any cost, Siddiqi asserted.
from The News International - Karachi https://ift.tt/2HQo3Qw
Monday, April 1, 2019
Next phase of drive against encroachments to start in mid-April
Related Posts:
TEXPO Pakistan will be held in April at Expo Center LahoreKARACHI: The momentum and interest for the second edition of TEXPO, Pakistan is picking up as local textile industry is showing great interest in the event.The event is being held in Lahore in April, 2019 and after the meetin… Read More
Five factories told to stop working over law violationsThe Sindh Environmental Protection Agency (Sepa) stopped five factories in North Karachi from working on Wednesday as they had been working without waste water treatment plants and committing other violations of the Sindh Env… Read More
Sindh government’s urban forestry drive to start from KarachiThe Sindh government will start implementing its project to carry out urban forestry in the province within a month, and Karachi is going to be the first city where a massive plantation drive will be conducted.Forest & Wi… Read More
Students’ future at risk as SEF shuts down 311 partner schoolsThe Sindh Education Foundation (SEF) is shutting down already functional partner schools across the province and this could badly affect an ongoing drive to reach out-of-school children.Recently, the foundation has cancelled … Read More
IGP summoned over non-compliance with court ordersTaking notice of the non-compliance of the Sindh High Court’s (SHC) orders about providing security to a citizen, the provincial police chief and the South Range DIG have been ordered to appear in court on February 27 and sub… Read More
0 comments:
Post a Comment